Craig's Blog

Craig McCarter's 2009 Alaskan Journey

Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 35 (5 Weeks) - Sioux City, SD To East Peoria, IL

After traveling some 478 miles in mostly sunny, warm conditions, I've arrived safely at my room for the night.

I have to admit that my derriere is a tad sore from the riding today. There is definitely a difference in endurance when riding in the 60s versus the 80 degree temperatures. And riding the backroads versus the interstates.

The ride, scenery wise was not bad across Iowa and a part of Illinois. The landscape has been rolling farmlands all day. Nothing to "knock your socks off" but very pleasing to look at.

The only interesting thing that happened to me today was that I almost ran out of gas. Coming into Illinois I was running low but being on an interstate highway, I expect to find gas at least every 20 miles or so. Not so in this part of Illinois. When the needle on the gauge reached the "you 're are out of gas" point. I really slowed down. Eventually I ran upon an exit with gas but the station was 2 miles down a local road. I thankfully reached the station with gas to spare. I just thought it was funny that I never had this problem once in my many miles of travel in the West and British Columbia where gas stations are very scarce.

Tomorrow should be my next to last day on the road. I have reservations in Cambridge, Ohio tomorrow night.

6 comments:

  1. Take extra care coming into the homestretch. We are all excited about your returning safely.
    Love, Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scott. As they say, most accidents happen close to home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I'm reading this Dad, there's not a cloud in the sky. Maybe a PA stop is in your immediate future after all !


    Enjoy your ride today, I'll talk to you tonight.
    Love, Keith

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you're only supposed to run that low on gas, when your father is along side you on his bike :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Craig,

    Wish I would have read your post yesterday while you were in Peoria. I would have come down and bought you a drink. Your turf friends are all pulling for you! Get home safe.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bill. That would have been a hoot!

    I thought about coming back through Chicago but I didn't think that I could handle the congestion in the Chicago area. As it turns out, I70 through Ohio is probably just as bad.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Woodstock, Virginia, United States