Craig's Blog

Craig McCarter's 2009 Alaskan Journey

Friday, July 3, 2009

Day 25 - The Canadian Rockies from Jasper, AB to Fernie, BC










Lake Louise


Lake Moraine



I slept well last night. This is my fourth night "tenting it" on this trip. I tend to get more sleep camping as I can't get up and get on the computer to work on the blog, the trip planning or finances. Still I was out of the tent at 4 AM and it was a cold 43 degrees. I boiled some water for my coffee bag and enjoyed a delicious (under the circumstances) cup of coffee. The the sinks oin the toilets had hot water available so I got some of that and took my time cleaning the bugs off the Wing that had accumulated from the previous sunny day's travel. By 6 AM I was packed and headed to Jasper for breakfast.

Heated clothing was needed this morning but not rain gear. I was very comfortable heading southbound on the Icefields Parkway. Sunny skies and more mountain peaks than I think any man has attempted to count! I felt physically well and spiritually blessed to be where I was at the moment.

I put in 395 miles today and saw mountain after mountain. Very few miles were spent out of the sight of a snow capped peak. The Canadian Rockies are fantastic. I have enjoyed the US variety around Denver for many years but Canadian's are class of their own. I hope that my travels over the next couple of days shows that our Glacier National Park gives them a run for the money! If not, I'm going to start a movement to make British Columbia the 51st State! :-)

Tomorrow I should be back in the USA!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Craig,
    I am enjoying your Blog, reading and looking at the great pictures every day. I played golf the last two days at Jackson's Chase with my son in law. They had a special $15 green fees so that was a susprise. Be careful.

    Dave J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 4th Dad!!!

    We sure missed you this weekend. We had a great time and put quite a 'dent' into your firewood.
    Look forward to talking with you soon.

    Love, Keith

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Woodstock, Virginia, United States