Craig's Blog

Craig McCarter's 2009 Alaskan Journey

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 23 - Back to Prince George And Homeward Bound

This evening finds me back in Prince George after driving 287 miles from New Hazelton, BC. It was a mostly sunny day and I only got a spattering of rain for a few minutes. Temperatures remain in the 50s and low 60s.

It was a day of reflection and I think that the scenery (or lack thereof) helped solidify my decision to head West and South as opposed to North to Alaska. I don't want to be too hard on this part of British Columbia but a few lakes and hills pale in comparison to the other areas of BC . As I told Milly, today's ride of 283 miles was much longer and harder than the 510 miles yesterday when there was interesting scenery on the Cassiar to occupy the senses.

I figure that if I head back to Alaska at this point, it will add at least a thousand miles to my planned trip because of reversing direction on the Cassiar yesterday. I am now also faced with having to travel in both directions on 882 miles of the Alaskan Highway which are generally acclaimed to be very boring.

I also think that I planned a trip that was about the extent that I was willing to travel. Both in miles and in time being away from home. If I'd made it through the Cassiar to the Alaskan Highway, all would be cool and I'd be on my journey northward. But now, I am content with accepting the notion that while I am missing out on seeing some wonderful sights and places in Alaska, I have seen many, many geological wonders in British Columbia that could only be marginally superseded in Alaska.

I hope that my decision to head to Jasper, The Icefields Parkway, and Glacier NP will not be too disappointing to those following this post. As I told Scott, my oldest son, "I leave the exporation of the 'Last Great Frontier' to you!"

I still have many miles and days of personal adventure ahead. And truth be know, I DID MAKE IT TO ALASKA!

There are no pictures worthy of publication from today's travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Woodstock, Virginia, United States