Craig's Blog

Craig McCarter's 2009 Alaskan Journey

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Day 19 - Traveled Between The Princes

Originally I thought that this was sawdust. On my return to Prince George I looked again and now think that is a pile of heating pellets.


Fraser Lake. Just one of the many lakes in British Columbia


The mountains are showing on the horizon!






I arrived safely in Prince Rupert after traveling 453 miles from Prince George. It was raining and cold (43 degrees) when I started loading the bike at 7:30 so I put on the Gerbing heated clothing and put the rain gear on over that! (Talk about the Pillsbury Dough Boy!) And I stayed warm and dry the entire trip.

I was taking Route 16, the Yellowhead Highway all the way. About an hour into the drive I ran out of rain and eventually into sunshine. About that time I started to see some mountains in the distance. I'd say that the 2nd half of the drive was spent zipping between huge mountain ridges. Many had snow and a few looked like they were home to glaciers.

I ran back into rain about 60 miles from Prince Rupert. The rain was way too heavy to take any pictures which is a shame as there was a lot to photograph. There were probably six or so waterfalls visible from the roadway alone.

After dinner I walked around town and decided that I don't want to spend tomorrow here as there isn't anything to do. I'll be heading out to Hyder, Alaska in the morning.

5 comments:

  1. Hope you have bundled up for Alaska Craig. I have two nephews that live in Nome and they tell me summer doesn't come until about August and then summer is like 60s! Glad to know you are safe and enjoying the beauty of God's creation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted the above Craig...Ag

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ag - Given the size of your family, I imagine that there are very few places that you don't have relatives! ;-)

    And yes, I have heated clothing that I wore all day yesterday and today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Well that is true they are pretty much across the country! :) Ag

    ReplyDelete
  5. OUCH!! Just read your Day 17 experience since I've been down to "Hokie Land". Glad you weren't under the bike and the go forward wasn't impaired. Lots of folks are following your adventures and praying for your safety.

    Hokie Neighbor

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Woodstock, Virginia, United States