Craig's Blog

Craig McCarter's 2009 Alaskan Journey

Friday, June 26, 2009

Day 18 - There's Gold In Them There Hills!

I've never seen an entire group (herd?) of horses taking a nap before!

My first moose sighting!!! Too cool!!!

Barkerville, BC - Notice the coats. Temperatures we in the high 50s!!!





Today I traveled 253 miles in British Colombia. 120 of that was expended visiting Barkerville, a restored gold mining town, with no forward progress. Route 97 continues to be pretty non-exciting as I traveled northward but the side trip to Barkerville was at least interesting.

I saw my first moose today on the way to Barkerville!! It was interesting that I was on a road that had a lot of the classic water bogs that you are used to seeing moose photographed in but the only moose I saw was in what looked like an old quarry. I think that perhaps this area might be used as a staging area for snow plows and that there might be some salt mixed with the gravel and soil as this moose was sure licking the ground. I wonder if I'll be fortunate enough to see on with antlers during the trip.

Barkerville was a pleasant diversion from the riding I've been doing. It was good to get out and walk around on my two feet. There were folks dressed in period attire (late 1800s) walking around and interacting with one another to provide some interest. And most of the building had been restored and furnished with the stuff that was correct for that era. I spent a couple of hours browsing before heading out to Prince George.

This evening I did laundry (for the 3rd time). And had some good pork ribs at a local eatery.

For tomorrow I have my sights on Prince Rupert. Sure hope that the town isn't filled with cruise ship passangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Woodstock, Virginia, United States