Craig's Blog

Craig McCarter's 2009 Alaskan Journey

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 31 - Beartooth Revisited , Landed In Cody,WY

Heading out of Red Lodge, Montana.


The following four pictures were taken on the Beartooth Scenic Highway.




The following three pictures were taken on the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway.





This was just a too cool spoof on what advertising has done to the image of the American cowboy. A Budwiser is in his hand and a pack of Marlboros is in his pocket. The dog got the can of Coors.


Today was a spectacular weather day. No rain and cold to cool temperatures. (I was bundled up on the Beartooth when the temperature dropped to 38!) I didn't see 70 degrees until I was prety close to Cody, Wyoming. It was a short travel day and I had lunch in Cody before visiting the Buffalo Bill Center for almost 6 hours.

The Beartooth was just as windy and cold as yesterday but there was a bit more sunshine. This a spectacular drive and I no longer question all the rave reviews that I've seen on the internet for motorcycling this road. The pass is just a little over 10,900 feet so there is little wonder about the cold temperatures and lack of trees.

After riding the Beartooth I turned off south onto the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. In my opinion it is every bit as scenic as the Beartooth. Just not as twisty and at lower elevations. A very enjoyable ride.

The morning's 129 miles passed too quickly. But after a quick lunch in Cody, I was off to Buffalo Bill Historical Center which turned out to be five museums in one! Only about a quarter was devoted to Buffalo Bill Cody. The rest was devoted to Western animals, art and culture. The museum is very well done and I'd recommend spending some time there if you are ever in the area.

I feel priviledged to have seen and done all that I got to do today!!!

Tomorrow night should find me 424 miles down the road in Deadwood, South Dakota.

2 comments:

  1. For the last week we have had temperatures running about 10 degrees below normal for the northern VA area. So I'm not too suprised that you are riding through a strong cold air mass. Tried to reach you on you cell yesterday afternoon. Nothing important so I didn't leave a message. Just wanted to see if I could catch you and BS a little.
    Love, Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a good cell signal as I came into Cody from the West but I can't even connect to a network on the East side of town. Go figure! Anyway, sorry I missed you.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Woodstock, Virginia, United States