Craig's Blog

Craig McCarter's 2009 Alaskan Journey

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 29 - Yellowstone to Grand Tetons to Jackson, WY and Return

The Grand Tetons!!!






The following three pictures were taken in Jackson, Wyoming.



Can you see the propellers?


It was a picture perfect day. Low hunidity, a high of 72 and no rain.

The worst part of today's travel involved road constuction. I had two 30 minute delays and about a half a dozen of the 5 to 10 minute varity. And the worst was that I had to travel on freshly graded gravel and dirt that had some treacherous, soft spots to navigate. Thankfully I made it through both ways without incident.

The Tetons are "Grand" indeed. I have seen many mountain peaks that I'd call more awesome than the Tetons. But I think that it is the arrangement of those peaks and how they rise up from the plains that make them special. I rode the backroads southbound and the main highway (Route 89) on the way back to my campground in Yellowstone. The Tetons showed their splender in both directions.

I'm glad that I went down to Jackson, Wyoming. I got a good lunch, saw some neat scenery and got gasoline for less than $2.50. ($2.79 had been the cheapeast since returning from Canada.) Jackson was flooded with tourists. I can't imagine what it is like during the winter ski season as the slope is practically in town as you can see from one of my pictures.

After 188 miles today, I'm spending my second night in Yellowstone's Lewis Lake Campground. I hope that I am as successful at warding the mosquitoes off as I was last night.

I'm heading for Yellowston's eastern entrance in the morning. My planned destination is Red Lodge, Montana. To get there I'll ride the Beartooth Highway, Route 212, a great motorcycle road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Woodstock, Virginia, United States